65 PA Schools Ranked 'Best Colleges For Your Money'
See how these 65 Pennsylvania schools stacked up nationwide in Money Magazine's "Best Colleges For Your Money" ranking.
Money Magazine has ranked 65 Pennsylvania schools on its most recent list of Best Colleges For Your Money nationwide. A total of 711 schools from across the country were ranked.
The list was compiled using six factors: median SAT/ACT score, estimated price without aid for the upcoming year, estimated price with a grant, percentage of enrollees who get grants, percentage of enrollees who get merit grants and the estimated amount of money graduates will make early in their career.
University of Pennsylvania led the way for the Keystone State, placing 27th overall. Two more colleges from Pennsylvania made the top 100: Swarthmore College in 37th and Lafayette College in 81st.
In order to be included on the list, schools had to have at least 500 students, not be in financial distress, have a high graduation rate and have sufficient data to be analyzed. Schools were judged based on three categories: quality of education, affordability and outcomes.
UPenn trailed Princeton (1), Harvard (10), Yale (14) and Columbia (21) in the Ivy League.
According to the list, the average SAT score for a UPenn student is 1460, and the estimated ACT score is 33. An education at UPenn for the 2017-18 school year is expected to cost about $71,100, without any aid. Graduates don’t need to be in debt very long, as the average early career earnings amount to about $61,900.Trump Jr.'s 'Nothing'; Iraqis Can Stay; Hotel Hack: Patch Morning BriefingAlso: sharing streaming passwords, a violent riptide, and a teen dies using her cellphone in the bath.
Those attending on grants are in even better shape. The estimated price of an education at the Ivy League university is $25,800, and nearly 50 percent of attendees attend using need-based grants.
Princeton University topped CUNY Bernard M. Baruch College in New York for the top spot. The University of Michigan was third, followed by the University of California-Berkeley and then the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA).
Here’s a complete list of where the other colleges in the state were ranked:
- 27. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- 37. Swarthmore College, Swarthmore
- 81. Lafayette College, Easton
- 114. Lehigh University, Bethlehem
- 136. Villanova Unviersity, Villanova
- 140. Gettysburg College, Gettysburg
- 149. Bucknell University, Lewisburg
- 152. Haverford College, Haverford
- 160. Temple University, Philadelphia
- 164. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
- 169. Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster
- 182. Lebanon Valley College, Annville
- 196. Holy Family University, Philadelphia
- 202. Gannon University, Erie
- 206. University of Scranton, Scranton
- 233. Pennsylvania State University - Main Campus, University Park
- 254. University of the Sciences, Philadelphia
- 255. Muhlenberg College, Allentown
- 271. St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia
- 280.Moravian College, Bethlehem
- 303. Dickinson College, Carlisle
- 316. Saint Francis University, Loretto
- 328. Slippery Rock University, Slipper Rocky
- 331. Washington and Jefferson College, Washington
- 331. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh
- 335. Ursinus College, Collegeville
- 336. Juniata College, Huntingdon
- 340. Immaculata University, Immaculata
- 357. Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown
- 357. Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr
- 365. Duquesne University, Pittsburgh
- 379. Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, Bloomsburg
- 390. La Salle University, Philadelphia
- 397. West Chester University of Pennsylvania, West Chester
- 402. Cedar Crest College, Allentown
- 417. Carlow University, Pittsburgh
- 420. Gwynedd Mercy University, Gwynedd Valley
- 446. King's College, Wilkes-Barre
- 449. Drexel University, Philadelphia
- 456. Saint Vincent College, Latrobe
- 481. DeSales University, Center Valley
- 507. Allegheny College, Meadville
- 516. Lycoming College, Williamsport
- 525. Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove
- 559. Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, Shippensburg
- 560. Mercyhurst University, Erie
- 577. Robert Morris University, Moon Township
- 586. Geneva College, Beaver Falls
- 595. Chatham University, Pittsburgh
- 618. Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Millersville
- 619. Eastern University, Saint Davids
- 632. East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania, East Stroudsburg
- 635. Seton Hill University, Greensburg
- 636. Cabrini University, Radnor
- 637. Point Park University, Pittsburgh
- 640. Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, Kutztown
- 642. California University of Pennsylvania, California
- 647. Neumann University, Aston
- 668. Lock Haven University, Lock Haven
- 669. Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Main Campus, Indiana
- 675. Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- 679. The University of the Arts, Philadelphia
- 687. Mansfield University of Pennsylvania, Mansfield
- 694. Marywood University, Scranton
- 699. Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, Edinboro
To see the breakdown for each school and to view the full list, click here.