Shift In Hurricane Irma Track: What It Means For PennsylvaniaWhat kind of impact will Hurricane Irma have on our region now that the track has shifted?0By -
Hurricane Irma, packing 155 mph winds, is still on a track that presents an imminent threat to all of Florida. But the track has shifted in a way that should bring at least some relief to residents from our region.
The National Hurricane Center says the Category 4 hurricane that wrought destruction on the Caribbean is expected to hit the southern tip of Florida and then move in a northwesterly direction. The storm will likely head through Georgia and then dissipate over the Midwest.
There has been some impact already on the Northeast. Forecasters say they've been recording 4 to 5-feet swells along the Jersey Shore now that Irma is moving over open waters.
Beachgoers could expect some rocky waves if they choose to go to the beach this weekend.
Initially, forecasters believed that the storm would head in a northeasterly direction and could point the storm in our direction. The new track, however, steers the storm away from Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
AccuWeather says New Jersey and Pennsylvania could get "some impact" once the storm dissipates and pieces of Irma spread across the Midwest and, possibly, the Northeast. But what becomes of it will be nothing like what Florida could face by Sunday.Hurricane Irma Eyes Miami • Equifax Breach Exposes Millions • Court Rebukes Trump Travel Ban: Patch Morning BriefingAlso: massive earthquake hits off Mexican coast, Amazon's new headquarters, seven sharks in an above-ground pool and more.
Even if Irma doesn't directly hit the Northeast directly and moves inland, he said, the storm will likely have some impact on the region, and remnants of Irma could produce gale-force winds and have other impacts on New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Another storm, Hurricane Jose, could also present a threat to the East Coast. But forecasters so far believe the storm will push out to sea.
Here is the weather forecast for the week:
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74. West wind 7 to 11 mph.
- Friday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. North wind around 7 mph.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 71. North wind around 8 mph.
- Saturday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 49. North wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 70. North wind around 9 mph.
- Sunday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
- Monday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.
- Tuesday: A chance of rain after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tuesday night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Wednesday: Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Wednesday night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Thursday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 76. Chance of precipitation is 30%.